Monday, June 23, 2008

4th Annual Sports Day

Yesterday was my 4th annual sports day. Its funny how quickly the years go, I cant believe it was my 4th!

The first year I participated in sports day I had just arrived in Japan and had no idea what a sports day was. I didn't understand Japanese and the kids hardly knew me. I was of little help! I took a video that year and lot of pictures because I remember thinking how cool, new and exciting this wonderful cultural event was.

What is sports day you ask?

Its a day full of running, games and exercise where parents either participated or sit on the sidelines watching and cheering. There are two teams, a red and a white. I still have no understanding of the scoring, but one team gets first and one gets second (no winners and no losers). Kindergarten students do dancing, running, special relays with parents and other things. The events are usually very creative! Apparently every school (kindergarten through high school) has one sports day every year.

My boss Tomohide anouncing

The score keepers

Game time

Relay with parents

This year was a challenge. After four years the teachers have decided that I can do more things (and my Japanese is good enough to know when they are telling me to do something). This year I was in charge of watching the students who don't behave. I'm the biggest teacher beside the new men teachers so if a child needs to be handled they send me in (mostly because I cant understand their complains and cries so I just make them do whatever it is that they are supposed to do). Takaki is a 3 year old boy who just doesn't get things yet. He is way behind the others and lacks many communicative skills, but for some reason LOVES English. He has no idea what he is saying, but he knows I only know English. He will want more food at lunch but comes up to me and says "How are you?" thinking that I will give him more food. It makes me laugh. I was also asked to watch classes, participate in events and dance.

Takaki


Something interesting: In America when we have school events maybe one parent will go and watch and many times a child will have NO parent to come and support them. But here in Japan its a different story! Each child has both parents, grandparents, sometimes aunts and uncles come to events such as sports day to cheer on the little ones! It amazes me the family support that they have here!

After sports day all the teachers and PTA members that have worked hard to make sports day successful, get together for a dinner/drink party! Always the same parents are there which is good because its easier to get to know them (and remember their names!). After we eat we always go to Karaoke and sing and drink some more. Some parents are real characters!

Chie and I

After Sports Day Dinner Party

All in all, sports day was a big success. I was sad at the end of the night thinking about how it will be my last, but feeling lucky that I have had the opportunity to have been to four of them.

1 comment:

FunkyChicken said...

Looks like fun!!

Glad you had a good time!!

My previous high school never had a sports day. Maybe they were all lazy bastards?

We only had the school festival every year. That was fun too!