Sunday, May 18, 2008

Some people hate going to their boss's house for dinner

Some people hate going to their boss's house for dinner, but not me!

Being invited to my boss's house for dinner means:

a) Eating really good home made Japanese food.
b) Playing with their 3 daughters and being able to talk to them in Japanese because they aren't actually in class.
c) Drinking some form of Alcohol
d) Having the boss's wife call my other boss to ask if I can have more days off in the week

Yes, you read correctly. I repeat "having the boss's wife call my other boss to ask if I can have more days off in the week".

Usually I only work 1-2 hours on Monday mornings and have the rest of the day off. English School is closed on Mondays and Kindergarten has a gym teacher that comes in to teach on Mondays so we go to kindergarten from about 9:30-11:00 on Monday's for "play time" and have the rest of the day off. I don't think going for such a short amount of time really bothers either one of us (us being the English teachers) and its play time so its not like we have to prepare or anything.

So at dinner out of the blue my boss's wife, Yukiko (by the way when they say the woman is the power behind the man, they mean it), said "Oh you don't have to work tomorrow, right?" and we proceeded to explain that we go in for play time on Monday's because of gym. And she looked at us as if we were crazy for going in for just an hour or so when we have the rest of the day off. She then started talking to my boss, Tomohide, in rapid Japanese about how its pointless we work tomorrow. Then they started asking if we want the day off tomorrow, and Renee and I joked and then said "Its OK, we really don't mind. Its not difficult."

About an hour later the topic came up again and they she got out her phone to call and talk to our other boss, Yoshi (gotta love small towns- Yukiko and Yoshi are brother and sister and Yukiko and Tomohide own the school, but Yoshi runs it and is our direct boss). She calls him and says "Monica and Renee don't want to work tomorrow. Why do they have to work on mondays when there is gym class on monday's?" and starts a big ordeal. You can tell Yoshi isn't happy on the other end of the line and Renee and I cringe because it wasn't our idea in the first place and weren't complaining about our 1 hour work day. Then the phone is handed to Tomohide who leaves the room to work out a "deal".

New work schedule: No School AT ALL on Mondays, but working 15 minutes longer every other day of the week at kindergarten.

How many times do you go to your boss's house for dinner and come out with an extra day off??

I love my job.

1 comment:

FunkyChicken said...

What a great deal!!!

If only they had thought of that earlier....!