Friday, February 20, 2009

PA: Amish or Hmong?

This past weekend Ger invited me to PA to visit her family and new born niece. Her oldest sister Jen still lives in the town that they grew up in with her husband and 3 week old baby girl Laura. Ger's Parents and other older sister Pau also visited. It was a family reunion... plus me.

I had never been to PA before and was totally excited to go and meet Ger's family, but must admit I was a little nervous and hoped that they'd like me. Of course her family was so nice! They all greeted and hugged me and were more than accommodating. Their house had a very homey lived in feeling which I love!

Ger had always told me that her community was primarily white and there were a lot of Amish people, but around Ger's sisters house I was the only non-Asian around. Its so interesting how cultures stick together. Every time they spoke Hmong I wanted to break in speaking Japanese... I even found myself thinking in Japanese... I guess its my default language now...lol.

I was so excited to see my first horse and carriage pulling the Amish peeps. I laughed when I saw that they really do wear those hats! It was an incredibly educational experience for me.

Essentially all we did all weekend was cook, eat and shop with Ger's sisters and niece! It was perfect!!

So Id like to give a shout out to the Moua family and say thank you for making me feel so welcome in your home and it was great to meet you all!!

No comments: