Thursday, January 31, 2008

Scared Shitless, another reason why I hate snow

Now that my heart is beating normally again, I would like to share todays horror story.

Many days I finish working at kindergarten at about 1pm and then walk to the English school. Its about a 20 minute walk in the snow. Usually when I arrive Yoshi and Chikako are in the main room working or chit chatting. Sometimes they are busy cleaning or shoveling or doing things around the school that need to be done. So, of course, today when I arrived at the school and no on was in the front room I thought nothing of it. I figured they were out side shoveling snow or something and did my normal things.

After sitting at my desk for about 10 minutes I heard an ambulance down the street. The sound of the ambulance grew louder and louder and then all of a sudden sounded like it had stopped next door. So I got up and looked out the window and sure enough... it was stopped outside the camera shop next door. My mind flashed at the thought that I hadnt seen Yoshi or Chikako since I walked in the door 10 minutes ago and paniced. So I jumped up an pulled my coat on. Thinking to myself what a snoop I must look like I saw a stretcher being taken out of the ambulance and being carried to the back of.. OUR SCHOOL!!??? Totally confused and scared of what I was about to see... I ran back into the school and through the main room into the kitchen area and then back into my classroom to see out my classroom window... 6 firemen and paramedics helping someone on to the stretcher. I couldnt see who it was or what had happened so I ran back through the school out the front door and towards the backside of the school when I ran into Chikako.

With her face smeared with blood and a paniced, unclear voice she spit out only a few words "Yoshi. Falling. I got to go. Stay here. Stay.". Of course I started panicing and thinking about all the terrible things that could have happened and had a flashback.

Black and white flashback...... 2 winters ago.
Monica: "Yoshi! What are you doing on the roof when its snowing?! Are you crazy?"
Yoshi: "Its no problem. I do this everyyear. We have to shovel off the snow so that it doesnt damage the roof. Dont worry."

Then another flashback....... again same time ... 2 winters ago.
Monica: "Unbelievable. People actually die from falling off their roofs?"
Yoshi: "Yes, of course, its the number one cause of deaths in Nagai because unexperienced people dont know the right ways to shovel snow off their roofs"

Not having an idea what to do and not knowing whats going on. I watched my boss being carried from the back of the school to an ambulance on a stretcher covered in blankets with a brace around his neck and having no idea what had happened. Then all of a suddent Chikako jumped in the front seat of the ambulance and said again "Stay here. Watch the school. Im going to the hospital together!!" "Ok!" I yelled back. Then Yoshi's wifes van pulled up and parked... she ran and said "Yoshi DOKO?!" And I pointed to the ambulance and knocked on the window and then Chikako got out of the front seat and Yoshis wife got in. Still totally confused Chikako runs inside grabs a phone, and gets in her car and drives off after the ambulance leaving me the only one at the school.

I had no idea what was going on. I didnt understand. Then spectators on the street started asking me questions and I didnt know.... and then the police started coming in packs of 3 and started asking me questions.... then and there I broke down. I started to cry uncontrollably and had flash backs to my best friends mother dying and watching my step father have a seisure when I was in high school. I needed to call someone who spoke bother Japanese and English. So I called Chiaki (Note to self... if I am ever in an Emergency dont call someone I know because I just cry so much more and cant seem to get words out). So the phone call went like this:

Monica:"Hello Chiaki. Now your shop busy?"
Chiaki: "No but Emi isnt here so Im by myself. why?"
Monica: "Yosh..... yosh..... YOSHI.....Fall..... ambulance............Lesley school" (insert crying and sobbing where the ...... are)
Chiaki: "Now where are you?"
Monica: "Lesley"
Chiaki: "Just a minute. Come to Lesley School"

Yep.... I think I made her panic too! I went to the back of the school to see about 15 police officers (I think it was the entire force in Nagai.... you could have robbed the police station there were so many cops here). Chiaki came and I asked her to tell me if Yoshi was ok and what happened because I didnt understand and they explained that when he was trying to knock down the icicles outside my classroom that the snow fell from the roof and a big piece of ice hit him on the head and gave him a big cut but he should be ok and not to worry.

TALK ABOUT A BIG SIGH OF RELIEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The police asked many questions and the Kamios (the owners of the school and also Yoshi's sister and brother in law) came and answered all of the questions I couldnt.

Its been about 2 hours since the accident and I still havent heard from Chikako or anyone at the hospital. I figure Yoshi will have to have many tests and probably stitches. I dont think he will be back at work this week. Im slightly frustrated that Chikako hasnt called to tell me anything..... Im still paniced and have a migrain like you wouldnt believe. And still Im here teaching and holding down the fort here at the English School.

I hope he will be ok. Please put him in your thoughts and what ever kind of prayers you do put him in those too. Thanks!

1 comment:

the blondegiraffe said...

oh my gosh!!!! What a scary morning!!! I'm so sorry. I'm so glad he is ok though. That must have been so horrible. :(. yikes!!!