Sunday, January 17, 2010

Is it true? Have I grown?

I visited my family and friends this past winter for Christmas and New Years Celebrations. It was one of the best vacations I have had in a very long time. Not because I did anything that was over the top exciting, but because I spent the majority of the time with my friends and family really spending time with them.

I let my family be my family (the good and not so good sides), when arguments started I would back off knowing that it wasn't worth the fight, I spent time with old and NEW friends by experiencing their lives.

My mom and I have always fought, not in the worst kind of ways, but in the family kind of ways (does that make sense)? We have always felt unheard by the other and always felt as if we were judged by each other. The more I teach, the more I learn how to deal with people in general. I have learned that children are just like adults and we should be able to solve problems as easily as children do. A simple "You hurt my feelings" and "I'm sorry" should suffice. So I took these skills I have learned from teaching and used them with my mother and it did wonders. So many arguments were solved before they could escalate. It was nice.

The exciting thing about visiting home this time was being able to meet my friends daughter Grace. She is almost a year old, but I hadn't gotten the privilege of meeting her and finally did. She is wonderful. A very sweet, even tempered child for the most part. She seems so very happy and that brings me so much joy (more than I can express). I also got to see and visit their new house that they just bought. I am so happy for the Fivgas'.

I also spent time with other friends that I am so blessed to still have in my life. I love knowing that we have been friends for over a decade and are still going strong.

I even managed a trip up north to visit my father and his family as well as my sister. My sister has the cutest little one bedroom apartment in Union City. She has a cute little life and seems happy which always makes me happy. I would be happier if we lived closer, but cant have it all in life. My dad had shoulder surgery and is going through a long recovery.

It was a good trip, a trip where I realized.... I have grown.

No comments: